On Tyranny by Timothy Snyder (Tim Duggan Books, 2017) is an ideal book to launch season four. This season we’re exploring BOOKS THAT MATTER–books that challenge us and shape the way we think and act. And return guest Shari Henry is an ideal guide for a look at our first book, which draws 20 lessons from the 20th century on how to care for our democracy.
Shari Henry is the director of democracy and community impact for the Urban Libraries Council. Shari has worked in libraries for over 15 years, including director for Roanoke County, Va. Prior to her library career, she worked in community engagement and outreach in nonprofits and is a published writer. Shari is driven by the desire to impact the community for good by connecting resources to people, and by her undying belief that libraries are fundamental to healthy democracies.
Here are some links to content discussed in the podcast.
- On Tyranny by Timothy Snyder
- Urban Libraries Council
- Virginia Library Association
- The Suffragist Playbook: Your Guide to Changing the World by Luncinda Robb and Rebecca Boggs Roberts (Candlewick, 2020).
Interested in being a guest? Choose a book that has made a difference in your life’s work and let’s chat!
The BOOK CITY ★ Roanoke Podcast is sponsored by Book No Further.
Check out more episodes by subscribing at a service below or at our archive.
★ Anchor FM
★ Apple Podcasts
★ Google Podcasts (only for Android devices)
★ Pocket Casts
★ Radio Public
★ BOOK CITY ★ Roanoke archive
- How to listen to podcasts for Android/Google Podcasts
- How to listen to podcasts for Apple/iTunes
- Sign up at the very bottom of this page for an email alert every time we post an article or release this season’s podcasts.